Global Radiation Oncology Workforce (GROW) Scholarships
To broaden awareness and support for cancer education and treatment in developing countries, the ACRO Board of Chancellors and supporters of the College have dedicated funding to enable international travel to assist in radiation oncology related outreach. For 2018, we will be offering two $2,000 per scholarship to participate in an international elective in a developing country. The scholarships are open to current residents and young practitioners.
We encourage applicants who are interested in clinical rotations in developing countries, particularly to observe variations in patient care and resource utilization. New this year, we have several contacts available to help streamline the process of getting involved in a clinical rotation abroad. These include opportunities in Botswana, India, Mexico, and Costa Rica, however applicants are also welcome to propose additional locations. Applicants interested in participating in the Radiating Hope expedition taking place in Peru in June 2018 will also be considered.
- ACRO will provide $2,000 per travel grant for radiation oncology residents or young practitioners.
- The cost of travel and lodging may exceed the scholarship amount. In this case, additional expenses will be the responsibility of the scholarship recipient.
- Written certification of ability to travel by a resident’s Graduate Medical Education Office and chairman/program director is required.
- For those selected to receive the ACRO GROW Scholarship, individual travel and medical-evacuation insurance are required prior to distribution of funds.
- Final acceptance and disbursement of funds is subject to review by ACRO.
Applicants should be driven to provide meaningful outreach and humanitarian support to the destination program, clinic, or institution. Applicants interested in the Radiating Hope expedition will be required to work on a collaborative project that will advance cancer care. (RadiatingHope.org). Further details are be provided within application materials.
Applications are due February 19, 2018. Please download the application here.
2016: Shefali Gajjar, MD
2016: Chika Nwachukwu, MD, PhD
2016: Adam Olson, MD
2015: Sanjay Maraboyina, MD
2015: Debra Yeboa, MD
2015: Michael Scott, MD