We are pleased to announce a significant legislative achievement for the radiation therapy sector!
Today, the Congress passed S. 2425, the Patient Access and Medicare Protection Act of 2015. This legislation provides critical payment stability to freestanding radiation therapy centers by freezing Medicare payment rates for the sector in 2017 and 2018 as it transitions to a new, episodic alternative payment model in 2019. The legislation also requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to submit to Congress a report on the development of an episodic alternative payment model for payment under the Medicare program within 18 months.
ACRO has been working for the last several years on payment stability and reform in the radiation therapy sector. We believe S. 2425 is a significant step towards the achievement of lasting payment stability for our members and the patients they serve.
ACRO also would like to thank the following Members of Congress for their efforts in passing this important legislation for cancer patients:
- Senator Rob Portman (R-OH)
- Senator Bob Casey (D-PA)
- Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY)
- Senator Richard Burr (R-NC)
- Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
- Senator Dan Coats (R-IN)
- Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR)
- Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)
- Representative Tom Price (R-GA)
- Representative Vern Buchanan (R-FL)
- Representative Kevin Brady (R-TX)
- Representative Devin Nunes (R-CA)
- Representative Kevin McCarthy (R-CA)
- Representative Paul Tonko (D-NY)
- Representative James Clyburn (D-SC)
- Representative Frank Pallone (D-NJ)
- Representative Jim McDermott (D-WA)
We also recognize the excellent advocacy of Andrew Woods, Esq., ACRO’s Legislative Counsel, and Jason McKitrick, staff for the Government Relations & Economics Committee.